It’s easy to sit down and write when the world is a mopey little rain cloud dangling overhead and everything seems to be upside down and sideways. In my recent happiness, I forget to take time to document what that feels like as well.
For Friday, a list of what joy feels like these days:
- Setting off late night fireworks with the Lady and my neighbors in a hazy glow of cocktails and laughter.
- Swimming in a lake with my favorite people, then lounging in the sun as day turns into dusk.
- Waking up on Sunday and slipping back off into a nap curled up in bed while the Lady turns the pages in her latest read.
- Running into the ex, having a minor confrontation, and realizing that at least ten friends stood behind me ready to leap in if the moment called for it- and handling it myself.
- Developing a standard road trip shopping list of beef jerky, Diet Coke, Reese’s Pieces, and Gatorade.
- Spending weekends at the Lady’s parents’ house in the country looking out over 60 acres of field and forest, waiting for hamburgers from the grill or sipping an ice-cold bourbon.
- Waking up to poems, love notes, and hand-drawn robots on the coffee table.
- Arriving back from a business trip to a bouquet bigger than my torso and a full-on tackle hug.
- Deciding to make bacon fried hotdogs because they came to the Lady in a dream and laughing until we ached.
- Impromptu midnight parties on a Tuesday in a yard looking out over the city.
- Insisting on one night apart to do book edits and ending up texting the whole night anyway.
- Planning approximately 27 creative ventures to work on together including several books, an art show, a survival guide, etc.
- Waiting for the work day to end, whether we have plans or not, just to see each other.
- Instigating a “cheesy love song” battle on Facebook.
Yep. Things are great.