I ran into a bar acquaintance of mine at the pharmacy a few weeks ago. You know how it’s hard to place familiar faces outside of the place you usually see them? One of those moments. Once I’d finally figured out who I was talking to, he commented, “Oh, I knew it was you. You look like your usual bag lady self.” Ouch. To be fair, he didn’t mean it unkindly. I take the bus everywhere, and what other people put in their car trunk tends to end up in a giant purse or on heavy days, in its friend, a gigantic Fossil tote bag. Or, if I’m making a store run, like that day, in both, plus random shopping bags piled around my feet.
I have never been one of those women who can get by with just a cute little clutch for the day. I’m high maintenance and a good little girl scout- always prepared. So, let’s see what made into today’s bags, shall we?
- Two Blackberries- one for work, one for personal calls.
- One pair elbow length grey cashmere gloves
- One change purse, blue, with robots
- A pair of sunglasses, purchased in an airport
- A digital camera
- My wallet- a gigantic one I bought off Etsy and can’t live without (like this one, but black and white).
- A signed copy of Margot Livesey’s novel The Missing World.
- A beat-up 8×10 blue notebook for when I get brilliant writing ideas.
- An aqua-colored umbrella.
- My keys.
- A makeup bag containing: Black eyeliner, Smashbox tinted moisturizer, Diorshow mascara, Nars blush in Orgasm, a blush brush, an eyebrow pencil, a neutral lipliner, Sephora mineral matte powder, three lipglosses, two lipsticks, a concealer stick, Carmex, and a spare pair of contacts.
- A pair of Nikes for the commute.
- A 3×5 notebook for my to-do lists.
- A day planner.
- All of my mail for the last week, so I can get organized at lunch.
- A spare black scarf, for when it gets really cold.
- And a copy of Sam Savage’s The Cry of the Sloth (also signed).
OK. I know. I am out of control. And to be fair, today would probably count as a light day. Heaven forbid I had anywhere to go after work. In the interest of not being completely hunched over in my old age, I need to reign it all in a bit.
But, be honest, what randomness are you lugging around?