Yes, I stole your questionnaire, Lora. It’s been a busy month and I have a lot of posting to do before I head home for the holidays…. I promise your answers are funnier.
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I’d rather use paper, but since most of my gifts have to fly home with me for the holidays, wrapping is a no-no. The post office was supposed to bring me flat-rate boxes so I could wrap and ship, but they never did. Oh well, I’ll be reusing my Mom’s recycled gift bags again.
2. Real tree or Artificial? Artificial. I’d rather have real, but my townhouse is tiny and I’m out of town so often that I’d worry about fire. My 4′ fake one has served me well for the last three years.
3. When do you put up the tree? If it were up to me, I’d put it up on Thanksgiving evening, but since I cook the whole Thanksgiving feast around these parts (and then get stuck with most of the clean-up), I usually get around to it when the clean-up is done and I’ve recovered from my turkey hangover.
4. When do you take the tree down? It’s bad luck unless it comes down on New Year’s. Last year I missed the deadline by, oh, two weeks or so…
5. Do you like eggnog? I have to thin it out with milk. Or booze. Rum, to be precise. It’s too thick straight from the carton.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? Probably a book. I was a very bookish little thing. Oh, and there was the year everyone was insane over Cabbage Patch Kids and my parents both bought them just in case, so I looked very spoiled with two. If only cell phones had been invented they could have saved the cash.
7. Do you have a nativity scene? I have one that I got on clearance when I worked at Michael’s one year in college. Small and somewhat tacky, but it does the job.
8. Hardest person to buy for? My fancy younger sister. I usually give up around now and just buy something small with a Coach logo on it.
9. Easiest person to buy for? BC, hands down.
10. Worst Christmas gift ever received? Christmas came just after the start of a new relationship in 2001 and I gave cologne. I got a rainbow stuffed peace sign rearview mirror thingy. Because “you’re all into politics and stuff.”
11. Mail or e-mail Christmas card? Mail. Always mail. And I’d use lickable stamps if I could still buy them. I heart stationery. And writing little notes inside. I used to send 70 or so out per year. This year I slopped together 20, but they went out in time. I don’t know if anyone is still sending them- I’ve only gotten two so far.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? All of the classics will always hold a special, near-and-dear spot in my heart, but I love “Elf”. It cracks me up every time. I like to whisper, too.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I used to wait until December, but now that I try to shop on Etsy and buy handmade, I start a little bit closer to Halloween to be sure everything can be made and arrive in time. I still have three people to shop for this weekend, so I’m no early finisher.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I don’t think I’ve ever re-gifted a Christmas gift. Wine brought to a party? Sure. I have given away a ton of Christmas gifts that I hated to people who didn’t hate them or had the room for them or to Goodwill. I like to think of it as finding them better homes.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Yorkshire pudding ftw! (I get to have one Southern and one British Christmas and I do love some Paula Deen, but Yorkshire pudding only comes out once a year).
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Clear, with lots of ticky-tacky homemade and souvenir ornaments to add color.
17. Favorite Christmas song? Silent Night makes me go all mushy and lumpy in the throat every time. If you get a small child to sing it, there may be actual tears.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Always travel. The whole family is in Georgia and Tennessee and I am in Pittsburgh. It’s much easier for one of me to go there than vice versa. When I have octuplets though, they are all gonna have to come to my place.
19. Can you name Santa’s reindeer? Every last one.
20. Do you have an Angel on top or a star? I grew up in an angel house, but I’m a star girl myself.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas morning. My mom always has us open pajamas on Christmas Eve. It’s a running family joke that she always buys mine too small. In every Christmas morning picture, I look like a stuffed sausage in my tiny Christmas pajamas.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? That my birthday is the 23rd. I have long sworn to do nothing Christmas-related on my birthday. I always cave in and pick up a last-minute gift, or fly home, or exchange presents with someone at a birthday happy hour though.
23. Ugliest Christmas Decoration ever invented? I am not a fan of those plastic icicles on the tree- they get everywhere and make an Easter basket-sized clean-up.
25. Which looks best theme trees or homey trees? I am a total home-y tree gal- the tackier the better. Handmade. Handpainted. Or even this little winner I grabbed at the Dulles airport:
26. Gingerbread or sugar cookies? Sugar. With sprinkles or colored sugar or jelly or chocolate chips or really anything sweet and tasty that you can do to a cookie. I do like a gingerbread scented candle though.
27. Do you like Fruitcake? Nope. My dear granny is a huge fan, so when I see it I think of her and get all warm and fuzzy, but it’s not going in my mouth.